This is a Singapore brand vinegar. Buy the pink label, not yellow label.
This is my favourite CNY Dish which my mother in law would make every year in a clay pot. According to Mr Teo, try to cook two days in advance for the flavour to mellow.
I recently learnt this at the community centre. Its not the ideal taste I am seeking for, as it was too sweet.
Old ginger 900g
Sesame oil 60g
Black vingegar (pink label) 1000g + 200g (China brand Zhejiang vinegar 浙江醋)
Pig trotter 1 pc – buy front leg
Lean pork 500g
Brown sugar 400g (or less) – made in Thailand or China. Do not use made in Singapore. Because he’s aiming for fermented sugar molasses taste.
1. Peel and cut old ginger in pieces, flatten lightly and keep them aside.
2. Heat sesame oil in wok and saute ginger till fragrant.
3. Put in pot, add vinegar, brown sugar and water. Bring to boil. Simmer for 30 mins. Remove from heat and leave overnight.
4. Blanch pig trotter and lean pork in boiling water to remove scum. Drain and add into vinegar.
5. Simmer at medium low heat for 40mins till trotter is tender.
6. If you like to add eggs. Hard boil egg and de-shell and add in vinegar to boil for 10-15 mins.
The best step by step guide is from this blogger with photos. Better than CC recipe as she even shows pictures of parts of pig.
Old ginger 200g
Fragrant cooked rice 240g
Egg yolk 2 pcs
Sesame oil 35g
Cook rice. Cool. Crack beaten eggs and mix with rice. With sesame oil, stir fry.
Slice ginger and fry till crispy.
Sprinkle ginger over egg.
Ginger is not just a seasoning. Chinese believe that pepper and ginger can dispel wind in the stomach and keep the body warm in humid wet weather.
Kampong chicken 1 pc
Ginger shredded 70g
*Red wine residue 红糟 100g
Red rice wine 300g
Sesame oil 30g
* Recipe for red wine residue
Red rice wine 红糟米酒
1. Chop kampong chicken to pieces. Wash and dry, marinade for 30 min
2. Heat work, fry shredded ginger, add sesame oil. Add wine residue. Add marinated chicken to fry till 80% cooked. Use fork to test.
3. Add water. Add red rice wine and seasoning to taste.
4. Continue simmering for 15 mins.
5. Boil Mee Sua in boiling water separately. Toss in sesame oil. Serve with red wine chicken and a sprig of coriander.
Western wine is made from grapes or fruits. Chinese/Asian/ Japanese wine like sake is made from rice.
Red Yeast Wine
糯米 Glutinous rice Songhe 1000g
红曲 Red yeast 150g
酒曲 Yeast Cake 60g (1 piece)
清水 Filtered water 1200g
1. Was glutinuous rice, soak in 720g water for 1-2hrs. Steam in rice cooker for 30-40 mins.
2. Spread cooked rice on a tray to cool. Mix 600g cool boiled/ filtered water.
3. Pound yeast cake into powder.
4. Sprinkle powder on to red yeast
5. Layer red yeast powder with glutinous rice in jar. ( Some bloggers suggest to mix together using fingers)
6. Cover jar and seal with plastic bag. Cover with black plastic bag and put in paper carton.
7. After a day. Open the cover for 5 mins to air. Cover jar.
8. After one week, spoon liquid in bottom of jar to wet the top of mixture.
9. Harvest after 21 days (bloggers suggestion) or 90 days (Mr Teo).
10. Separate residue from wine using drip method with unused coffee sock. Do not squeeze with fingers to hasten the process.
11. Keep red wine residue and wine separately in fridge.
This is a foochow dish I learnt last night. Since I was late, the teacher explained the process to me. I decided to google the internet to find out how others have cooked it. First time I tried this wine. The red wine which Mr Teo made from home was really delicious.
Recipe for red yeast wine chicken
Recipes from other blogs: