Ice-kachang, a local Singaporean delight was apparently brought into Singapore via Japan during WWII. The Japanese shaved ice, Kakigori is quite similar, topped with gula Melaka syrup and evaporated condensed milk. The local version is filled with rainbow nuggets of Chengchow, corn, red-bean, chendol, and attap chee (fruit of the nipa palm, grown in mangroves around Pulau Ubin).
- 50g red beans, cooked till soft
- 50g sweet corn
- 50g lengkong (jelly), cubed
- 50g chendol
- 50g attap chee (from nipa palm)
- 100g mixed fruit in syrup
- 4 tsp red syrup
- 4 tsp gula Melaka, pounded, melted and sieved
- 2 tsp evaporated condensed milk
- 1 big bowl of shaved ice
- Make red syrup by dissolving sugar in boiling water. Add a knot of pandan leaf. Add red dye (cochineal). To make brown colored syrup, dissolve gula melaka in hot water, add pandan leaf. Strain.
- In a bowl, add a bit of all ingredients. Top generously with shaved ice in a shape of a steep mountain. Spoon some red and gula melaka syrup according to your taste. Pour condensed milk and red syrup on the iced.
Ice Kachang recipe at Singapore local favourites.