Truth be known, I’m trying to clear my fridge. My mom gave me a pomelo for Chinese New Year. The Chinese name (you) signifies forever abundance, everflowing. She has a knack of picking lightly fragrant, juicy pomelos.
This dish is served chilled, which we had for dinner with baguette.
1. Seafood (e.g. 1 large squid, cleaned and cut into bite size or 5 prawns). Poach squid with boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and put ice cubes to chill.
2. Slice 4 shallots or baby red onions. Slice bunch of basil leaves. Chill.
4. 2 tbsp dessicated coconut (not sweet. I use Bake King brand.). Fry for 1 minute until toasted. Be careful it doesnt burn. Set aside to cool.
5. Sauce: 2 tsp fish sauce, 1/2 tsp sugar, juice of 1 calamansi lime, 2 chopped garlic, cilantro.
6. Lightly toss seafood, pomelo, dessicated coconut, fresh shallots, basil leaves and toppings. Drizzle with sauce.
Optional toppings: dried chilli, cranberries, cilantro, chopped peanuts, fried shallots.
Variation: use minced pork or minced chicken or cubed chicken breasts.