I’ve not even kept my Christmas tree and already the shops are blaring out Chinese New Year music.
We’re moving on to another feast.
Pumpkins are such a fixture in Asian and Western cuisine and celebrations, from using pumpkins for Halloween lanterns, to pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. In my dialect group, the Teochews, we love the Pumpkin and Yam Paste dessert “oh nee”.
Roasted pumpkin seeds – accompaniment to mahjong games and gossip sessions.
I am happy to learn a new cookie recipe using pumpkin seed.
150 gm of unsalted butter
200 gm of plain flour
60 gm icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
50 gm pumpkin seed
30 gm cornflakes
1 egg white
1. Using a paddle, cream butter, icing sugar and vanilla together till creamy.
2. Add egg white and mix well.
3. Lastly add pumpkin seed, cornflakes and flour and mix well. (Be careful not to over-mix at this stage or the cornflakes will be crushed and you’ll lose the crunchiness of cookie.)
4. Remove dough into a bowl. Using fork and spoon, portion out tiny balls of dough onto baking tray, lined with parchment paper.
5. Arrange on the tray and bake at 140 degrees celsius for 15-20 mins.