Christmas Yam Cake
Instead of making a Christmas fruit cake, my mom decided to make a steamed Chinese Christmas Yam Cake. If you consider chestnuts, yam and pumpkin to be fruits, then this is a Chinese Christmas Fruit Cake.
1000 gm yam
3 cups water
200 gm rice flour
50 gm tapioca flour
1/4 pumpin (optional)
50 gm fresh minced pork (or chinese sausage)
5 pieces roasted chestnut without shells (optional)
50 gm dried shrimps – soak in hot water for 10 mins and pound
5 pieces of Chinese mushroon – soak in hot water for 10 mins and cut into slivers
1. Shred Yam and cut into cubes. Steam for 15 mins.
2. Dry mushroom slivers and Fry until fragrant. Add mashed dried shrimps. Continue frying. Add minced pork. Continue frying until cooked. (If you’re adding chinese sausage, do scald it with hot water seperately before frying.) Add steamed cubed yam.
Fry with meat
3. In seperate bowl, sieve tapioca flour and rice flour and add 1 cup water. Stir evenly. Add 1 more cup more water. Sieve into wok where meat, mushroom are resting etc.
4. Add one tsp spoon salt into remaining water and pour over ingredients. Stir over mid fire until combined.
Fry flour into ingredients until thoroughly combined
5. Put into prepared steamer. (While preparing ingredients, heat up water.)
6. Steam for 45 mins and decorate to taste.